- J.D., University of San Diego
- B.A., University of California, Riverside
- Admitted: California; C.D. Cal.; S.D. Cal.; E.D. Cal.; 9th Cir.; U.S. Supreme Court
Mr. Schneider provides legal advice regarding all aspects of healthcare law to the Chancellor, Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost, Vice Chancellor for Health Affairs/ CEO UC Irvine Health, Dean, School of Medicine, and other members of the School of Nursing, School of Medicine and UCI Medical Center senior management. He also advises the Student Health Center and Counseling Center on the UCI main campus. He is a member of the Hospital Executive Leadership Team, Governing Body Advisory Committee, Medical Staff Executive Committee, Medical Staff Credentials Committee and the Risk Management Committee. Mr. Schneider supervises one attorney and one staff member in the Office of Campus Counsel and also oversees the Medical Center’s Risk and Regulatory Affairs Department. His practice includes state and federal regulatory issues, including reimbursement and Fraud and Abuse analysis; group purchasing; joint ventures and affiliations with various entities; privacy; physician discipline and medical staff matters; accreditation issues; internal and external investigation; acquisitions; medical center and School of Medicine strategic planning; and faculty, resident and medical student related matters.
Before joining UC Irvine, Mr. Schneider was University Counsel in the University of California’s Office of General Counsel with primary responsibility for legal oversight of the UC Hospital and Professional Medical Liability Program involving its five medical schools and teaching hospitals, two affiliated county hospitals, student health centers and all faculty and residents. He was also responsible for initiating a system-wide “medical risk management committee” of medical directors from all facilities to concentrate on systematic sharing of risk reduction strategies implemented by the campuses.
Prior to joining the University of California, Mr. Schneider was in private practice, as a partner at Bonne Bridges Mueller O’Keefe and Nichols in Los Angeles was a partner and Thomas, Mort, Prosser & Knudsen in Riverside.
Recent University Service
- Medical Staff Bylaws Committee
- Department Clinical Review Committee
- Corporate Compliance Committee
- Strategic Development Committee
- Quality and Safety Oversight Executive Committee
- Ad Hoc Committee on Settlement Allocations
- Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost Conflict of Interest Committee
- Joint Meeting of Systemwide Student Health Center and Counseling Center leadership re: Peer Review and Credentialing.
- “Evaluating Physician Performance for Credentialing Purposes,” Catholic University of Korea Medical Center, Seoul, South Korea.
- “Comparative Healthcare Laws of the United States and Vietnam,” Central Military Hospital 108, Hanoi, Vietnam.
- Grand Rounds, “Medical Malpractice Prevention,” Garden Grove Community Hospital
- "Hospital Legal Duties to the Homeless Upon Discharge," Association of Academic Health Centers, Executive Leadership Group for Counsel, Washington, D.C.
- "United States Healthcare Law and Patient Protections," Tianjin Medical University, Tianjin, People’s Republic of China
- Panelist, "Avoiding Institutional Conflict of Interest," Association of Academic Health Centers, Executive Leadership Group for Counsel, Washington, D.C.
- Informed Consent, Documentation and Privacy,” (presented nine times annually for UCI 3rd year medical students)
- "Malpractice and Privacy Issues Facing Dermatologists," Skin Disease Educational Foundation, Phoenix, AZ
- "In House Counsel’s Perspective on Compliance Issues," LA County Bar Association Healthcare Section, Los Angeles
- Adjunct Professor of Law, UC Irvine School of Law, Spring, 2014
- Adjunct Professor of Law, Whittier Law School, Fall 2013-present
- Fisher, M. and Schneider, P., Stroke and the Law, Principles and Practice. Journal of the American Heart Association, October, 2014.
- Schneider, P., Risk Management and the Hospital based OB/Gyn. Book chapter for Ob/Gyn Hospitalist Medicine: Principles and Practice.