Andrea Gunn Eaton
Chief Campus Counsel
- J.D., Tulane University School of Law (1999)
- B.A., Political Science (International Relations Emphasis), University of California, Santa Barbara (1993)
Andrea Gunn Eaton provides legal advice and counsel to the Chancellor and their senior management staff in all areas affecting the campus, such as staff and academic employee relations, student affairs, land use, gift matters, contracts, constitutional law, health sciences, and research regulation and compliance. She also serves as a senior advisor on institutional policy and decision-making that require a legal perspective, and is a member of Chancellor's Cabinet and Chancellor's Advisory Council. She oversees the Office of Campus Counsel consisting of five attorneys and two staff.
Prior to joining UCI, Ms. Eaton served as Assistant Vice Chancellor & Chief Counsel - Business and Finance for the California State University, Office of General Counsel. She also served as the CSU systemwide resource attorney on California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), Land Use, Bonds and Financing, and Construction matters, and served as University Counsel for California State University, Dominguez Hills. She previously served in a similar capacity as University Counsel for California State Polytechnic University, Pomona.
Prior to coming to the CSU Office of General Counsel, she was a Senior Associate with Seyfarth Shaw LLP, where she specialized in Labor and Employment litigation. Ms. Eaton was also a National Association for Public Interest Law Fellow with the Texas Civil Rights Project, where she led public education efforts and litigation regarding student peer-to-peer sexual harassment and comparable sports and educational opportunities in rural Texas secondary schools. Ms. Eaton is licensed to practice in California and Texas (inactive).
Selected Speaking Engagements:
- ADA/Section 504 Facilities Access: What You Don’t Know Will Cost You (2009), Panelist, NACUA Virtual Seminar (nationwide audio conference) and March 2009 Higher Education Discrimination Law CLE Workshop
- CSU Environmental Review – Master Planning and Capital Projects Training (2010), Presenter
- CSU Systemwide Capital Planning, Design, and Construction Workshop
- CEQA Basics (2013), Presenter, CSU Systemwide Capital Planning, Design, and Construction Webinar
- Law of Design and Construction (2013, 2015), Program Organizer and Presenter, CSU Systemwide Construction Management Program
Other Activities, Interests, or Awards:
- President, Junior League of Long Beach (2013-14)
- Board of Directors, Junior League of Long Beach (2010-2014)
- Co-Chair, Junior Leagues of California State Public Affairs Committee (2009-2010)
- Recipient, California State Assembly Resolution recognizing volunteer work and contributions to maternal mental health initiatives (2010)
- Recipient, Guardian de Justicia Award, Orange County Hispanic Bar Association (2011)